November 8, 2007

Apple Pie


Homemade apple pie on a cool Fall day! It doesn’t get much better than this! DJ’s been busy putting up Christmas lights and decorating his room for Christmas. With all the festivities, I decided to join in and bake his favorite - homemade apple pie. Lorna’s also been hinting that she would really enjoy one of the cinnamon rolls that I make with the leftover pie dough so Tuesday was the day! It’s Thursday and DJ had the last piece for breakfast this morning. :)
Betty Truesdale’s Pie Crust
(10” Double Crust)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup cold shortening
5 tablespoons ice cold water
Mix flour and salt together. Cut in shortening until size of peas. Sprinkle in water one tablespoon at a time. Mix just until ball forms - not smooth. Divide dough in half and roll into 10” circle with a rolling pin. The cold water and shortening and not overmixing is what gives you a wonderful flaky crust.
Lorna’s Favorite Cinnamon Roll
Roll leftover pie dough into a rectangle, spread with butter, sprinkle brown sugar to cover then sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll up and place in greased pie plate. Bake at 350 until golden brown. A delicious treat compliments of my Grandma Fair. I didn’t used to be a pie fan but always looked forward to this treat, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking I need to make an apple pie. It's one of Lyle's favorites, too. Just hadn't gotten around to it yet this fall. Maybe I'll do that this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Eileen said...

That looks so good and pretty too. Thanks for sharing. When you talk with Betty tell that Eileen said Hi. Thanks again for sharing.

Michelle said...

Baked Apple Pie is also my favorite. I can remember being a little girl and my mom used to bake apple pies. Nothing better than warm apple pie and vanilla ice cream! Let DJ know that I am right there with him on the Apple pie! Michelle J

The Dickinsons said...

Looks yummy! One of these days, I'll be better again, and will make my Phillip and my family their favorite too...my apple pie. =) I'm so glad that you made that pie, I'm sure that your family loved your treats!


Love, Heather =)