February 27, 2009

Singing in His Shadow

With my husband's upcoming procedure and two weeks in University of Cincinnati Hospital, it's been tough. This week as Iwas praying for encouragement, I was reminded to sing and praise ALWAYS. Then at prayer meeting, our pastor re-imphasized this important truth - it was so timely. This morning this was the devotional in my in-box from Joni and Friends. It was so good I wanted to share it with you.

Singing In His Shadow

Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. --Psalm 63:7

Under His wings I am safely abiding,
Though the night deepens and tempests are wild,
Still I can trust Him; I know He will keep me,
He has redeemed me, and I am His child.
Under His wings, under His wings,
Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings my soul shall abide,
Safely abide forever.
Yesterday's devotional reminds me of the words to this old Gospel song, "Under His Wings." I often sing it as a prayer in the middle of the night when I am unable to sleep. During dark hours when my mind is tired or my thoughts are scattered, I "pray" the safe, reliable words from a time-honored hymn (I'll sing quietly so as to not wake my husband). One of two things usually happens: my worrisome thoughts disappear, or I fall asleep! In more than a dozen places in Scripture, God bids us to draw close to him and find shelter - in most places, it says refuge. Or in his wings. Psalm 91:4 says, "He will cover you with his feathers, under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." That God describes himself so often as a powerful and beautiful bird arching his protective wing over us for our refuge, should tell us something. It should assure us that we can always find shelter, refuge and safety. That's reason enough to sing.
May you be blessed with a special song today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Denise,
we are sure praying for you all in this tough time right now. May you feel Jesus close and near to carry you "Under His Wings"! The Hausman's

Ronda said...

Thanks for sharing this encouraging post! I know that God is smiling down on you...What a beautiful witness you are~even while you are going through difficult times! May you feel God's arms around you. I will pray for you!