October 29, 2007

Happy 45th Birthday, Dan!


Happy 45th Birthday, Dan!
October 29th was Dan's 45th birthday. Happy Birthday, Sweetheart! We kind of had a blue Monday - he came on a brochure about Parkinson's Disease at the hospital and it wasn't good news to him. Parkinson's Disease is a VERY cruel disease that involves a LOT more than trembling hands. Dan's been robbed of a normal life at a VERY young age.
Dan courageously fights the disease, volunteering three mornings a week (as he's able) at our hospital as a volunteer chaplain. The rest of his time he tediously reads and studies for classes he's taking at GBS. He purposes to graduate from there ASAP. His body aches with an aching numbness- like when you wake up and your arm has fallen asleep? - All over his body. Still he studies. One of the first signs of Parkinsons is the TINY handwriting - remember all the notes one must write in college? He tries to take all his notes on the computer but it's still very time consuming with his disablity. I had so many people tell me when Dan was diagnosed about their loved ones who basically just sat down and let the disease run its course - not Dan, he's fighting with a vengeance. He reads alot to Benji - they've just about completed 30 of the Bobbsey Twins books. He listens to DJ and all of his dreams (believe it or not DJ's a nonstop talker at home ;) ). He listens to music with Lorna and they visit.
We're thankful we still have our Daddy - we nearly lost him three years ago when he had a heart attack due to a study drug he was on. The left side of his heart was 100% blocked for over an hour and a half. Thanks to many prayers and an awesome cardiologist, there was NO damage! Life is so precious! Even though things aren't like we thought they would be and definitely not like they used to be, we're together and we have God to help us through every situation we'll ever face. "Strength for today and BRIGHT HOPE for Tomorrow (Heaven)... Blessings all mine with ten thousand besides!" It brings me SO much comfort to know that Dan won't suffer for eternity. There's coming a day when the man who used to work circles around every man I know, the man who did so much for others, it bugged me, the man who had a beautiful smile with no effort, the man who drove every where we needed to go (and loved it), the man who had a bottomless energy to play volley ball, basket ball or whatever with young people, the man who provided so handsomely for his family, and on and on it goes ... that man, my husband Dan, will be back. "Though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; while we look not at the things which are seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal." II Corinthians 4:16-18

5 comments:

Rob and Deanna said...

What a Beautiful, Well-written tribute to your husband, Denise!! You have so many talents, & now I see writing is one as well!! :-)

Eileen said...

Denise I want to thank you for this post. I have wrote you not to long ago. We know Dan and his family. I just want to let you know that we are praying for each of you. For you see I know what you are saying about the Parkinsens. My husband was diagnosed about 5 years ago. His is progressing. He too, keeps on going. He of course is much older then Dan, but like Dan he lives his life to the fullest. And with God on his side he knows one day he is going to meet Jesus. I so am greatful to have Jesus. He is the only way. I love Him so much. He does so much for us. I have to ask my self some times What am I doing for Him. Thank you again for this blog. I really appreciate it so much. Thank you again.

Michelle said...

Denise I just want to tell you that you and your family are a huge blessing to me. Sometimes when I am having a low day (which seem to be more lately between life experiences and physical pain) I will get to church just needing something special from the Lord to keep going and I will get a smile from you or a Praise the Lord from Dan. God is really using your family to bless others and I am really glad to be a recipient of those blessings! Thank you for being my friend and staying true on this narrow path! I love you all! Michelle J

twila said...

Belated happy birthday to Dan!!! Dave and I and more importantly, and God are pulling for you.

May God's richest blessings be yours.

Dave and Twila

Anonymous said...

We hope you had a Wonderful Birthday!!! Even with all life throws at you, we are amazed at your optimistic view. Just like you stated so well someday this life with all its pain will be gone and we will be made new again!! What a hope!!! Your family is such a blessing to us!!