May 30, 2008

Ronald McDonald House

Once a month, the youth group at our church gathers the menu items and goes to the Ronald McDonald House next to Cincinnati Children's Hospital and fixes supper for the residents and patients there. We've been doing this for over two years, I believe. Whenever Scott Susan, the youth director isn't able, I drive the church van full of food and young people down there. It's alot of fun and a great way of fulfilling the Great Commission by feeding the hungry, binding up the broken hearted and healing the sick. I know, we aren't doctors and nurses but you'll have to admit there's nothing like a good homecooked meal when you don't feel well. Smile! The residents and staff volunteers are ALWAYS VERY glad to see us.
Last Friday was our turn to go and since Scott was out of town, I took the van full of young people and food downtown and supervised the meal prep. This is such a pleasure.
We have a GREAT bunch of kids!


This little guy is staying at the Ronald McDonald house while his bone marrow transplant "takes". Isn't he adorable? He's four years old and from Michigan. His mom told me so far so good - but the other little guy that had one done the same day wasn't so blessed-he's already enjoying heaven. I think this little fellow needed the love and attention we gave more than the food. For whatever reason, he found me and claimed me for the evening. He brought back alot of pleasant memories from the five years we were in Africa - even made me a little homesick!
This month was also pretty special when one of the folks that has been there for a while, came up to me and in very broken English thanked me profusely for the food. Her son is a patient at Children's and has had no appetite. Believe me, this is VERY distressing to the parent of a child who's ill and yet doesn't want to eat. Our Benji's been that way after just about every one of his eight surgeries. Anyway, the parents had fixed him a small taco and taken it over and he ate it all and wanted more! He also asked them to ask us what seasoning we had used in the meat so they could make it again. I had taken my big thing of taco seasoning from Sam's to season the meat with so I gave them what was left (about half) and rejoiced with them. This family has been very distant and reluctant to our advances at friendship so this was a real miracle. They are from Columbia, South America and who knows what the future will hold!


This month, my friend, Michelle, came with us for her very first visit. She was a big blessing as she washed and shredded the lettuce for our tacos and washed a PILE of dishes.
Thanks so much for coming along and all the work you did, Michelle!

So next time you go through the drive thru at McDonalds and see the little collection bin under the window, you know what the money's for - providing a home away from home for sick kiddos and their families!

3 comments:

Eileen said...

Denise I so enjoyed your blog. It is a good thing that your youth group is doing. Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing.

Decor To Adore said...

Hi Denise,

Thank you for stopping by my blog. We have a R.M. house here in Phoenix that I toured two years ago. As I decorator I volunteered to redecorate "the rooms" as the need arises.
I think it is a wonderful thing to have a youth group be involved in this very special organization.

Eleanor said...

What a wonderful effort! And the tacos sound delicious. I am sure the little fellow in blue made you homesick for Lesotho. Any chance that you will ever get back to this part of the world to visit? Love Eleanor at Thatchwick